News

NewsSCOTS HAVE BEEN GOING COLD OUT OF FEAR OF HUGE ENERGY BILLS

SCOTS HAVE BEEN GOING COLD OUT OF FEAR OF HUGE ENERGY BILLS

In our latest findings from our Big Energy Switch poll, we have found that many Scots went cold this past winter out of fear of incurring huge energy bills.

• A poll of the first 13,000 households to join the Big Energy Switch campaign reveals that:

• 3 in 4 Scots are making lifestyle sacrifices to afford their energy bills, and

• Of that group, nearly half are sacrificing their heating to a point at where they’re no longer comfortable.

Sacrificing something as basic as the heating of one's home is something that no family should have to do.

The Big Energy Switch was first launched to tackle the energy affordability crisis hitting thousands of Scots, with this poll further showing  the daily impact and sacrifices Scots are continuing to make to heat their homes.

We would encourage everyone to join, so we can unlock a group discounted offer in Scotland, that allows less sacrifices and fairer prices.

Joining the Big Energy Switch is entirely cost and obligation free. Consumers who wish to sign up can visit www.onebigswitch.co.uk.

Registration closes at midnight 25 March 2016.

Join the conversation

One Big Switch
SCOTS HAVE BEEN GOING COLD OUT OF FEAR OF HUGE ENERGY BILLS

Share your views with other members.

Want to leave a comment? or .
Read our moderation policy here.
Anonymous
Anonymous from NLK commented:

Scots are also getting ripped off with sales men trying to sell new boilers my elderly grandparents were expecting someone from Scottish gas to attend there property regarding smart meters when the guy from Scottish gas came never mentioned smart meters but told them there boiler was old and couldn't get parts they needed a new boilers at the cost of £2194.00 they agreed and signed for this as a Scottish gas employee they did not think for 1 minute they were getting ripped off when I came home from work I called and cancelled right away they then got an independent corgi registered plumber out to look at there boiler and were told it's only 8 yrs old there's not a thing wrong with it and theyed get another 20 yrs out it I think this is a dam disgrace as any elderly person getting Scottish gas in would probably take there word for it and go ahead with the work not everyone has got family members they can discuss things with kind regards Janet bennett

Anonymous
Anonymous from ERW commented:

I have been trying to get in touch with One Big Switch. I have emailed them 3 times and still they don't respond. Can anyone help me with this?

Anonymous
Anonymous commented:

Yes we agree with all that is said so far on this subject. I have recently become a pensioner and don't want to be put in a position where I have to turn off the heating because of the cost. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous
Anonymous from ABD commented:

I relocated to Banff on September last year and had to take crappy high ceiling flat (with single glazing) - storage heaters, fridge next to cooker (both ancient) and energy guzzling boiler. Just got hit with a £1300 bill from SSE - now terrified to use anything - heaters, hot water etc - felt so isolated but reading this made me realise something has to be done.

Anonymous
Anonymous from IVC commented:

I AM WITH SCOTTISH POWER OUR LANDLORD RIVER CLYDE HOMES SAY WE HAVE TO STAY WITH SCOTTISH POWER I THINK WE SHOULD BE FREE TO CHOOSE I THINK THEY HAVE DONE A DEAL WITH THEM. I PUT £15 IN MY POWER KEY METER TODAY I WAS LEFT WITH £6 £5 EMERGENCY CREDIT PAID BACK SO £4 STANDING CHARGE WHAT A RIP OFF I CAN'T USE MY HEATING AS MY ELECTRIC IS AROUND £20 A WEEK SO I WANT TO FIND A BETTER DEAL.

Anonymous
Anonymous from NAY commented:

I've been with RCH in Inverclyde, and I used whatever supplier I wanted. Check the terms of your rent agreement before you do though. I don't imagine something like that would be in the terms, but you never know. You could probably get that reported as they are needlessly restricting your market freedom.

Anonymous
Anonymous from DND commented:

looks like i missed the 25 march registration date

Anonymous
Anonymous from EDH commented:

i was told i was getting the winter warm money of £140 ,never received it ,when i enquired as to why no payment,was told HM Gov declined my application,despite getting it from previous suppler on the same DWP benefits of ESA ,MP is trying to find out why i was refused

Anonymous
Anonymous from FAL commented:

it is time to let the people shout because we are getting ripped off this should stop!

Anonymous
Anonymous from EAY commented:

i have been with EDF energy for the last 2 years with a 3-year fixed blue-price plan and am now entering the third year but am interested in yearly plan's now that i can switch.

Comment Guidelines

By clicking on the "Let's Get Started" button above, I acknowledge having read, understood and agreed to the Terms and Conditions and the Privacy Policy